Introduction from the chair David Lee
Welcome: Partnership is at the heart of Edinburgh’s data revolution
Peter Mathieson, Principal, University of Edinburgh
Keynote: Why data collaboration in a crisis is essential
Ben Macpherson MSP Minister for Public Finance and Migration
Keynote: Does Big Data have to mean Big Brother?
Timandra Harkness, comedian and author of Big Data: Does Size Matter?
Panel Discussion: Data, Covid-19 and better Public Services?
What have we learned in 2020 about public sector innovation and collaboration during a crisis? How can we capture ‘the new agility’ to create better public services for the future?
- Jason Leitch, National Clinical Director, Scottish Government
- Kenneth Meechan, Head of Information and Data Protection Officer Glasgow City Council
- Gemma Cassells, DDI,lead for the public sector
- Gillian Docherty, CEO, the Data Lab
- Rowan Conway, Head of UCL’s Institute for Innovation and Public Purpose Mission Oriented Innovation Network
Panel Discussion: Data in public health crises - past and present
Moderated by Jonathan Seckl, Moncrieff Arnott Professor of Molecular Medicine and Senior Vice-Principal, University of Edinburgh
- Phil Couser, Director of Data Driven Innovation, Public Health Scotland
- Linda Bauld, Chair of Public Health, The Usher Institute, University of Edinburgh
- Mark Woolhouse, Professor of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, University of Edinburgh
- Helen Stagg, Chancellor's Fellow, The University of Edinburgh
Keynote: Data innovation’s role in the UK Government industrial strategy and the levelling-up agenda
Iain Stewart MP, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Minister for Scotland)
Keynote: Digital breadcrumbs, social physics and data co-operatives: why it’s time for communities to reclaim their data
Sandy Pentland, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Data & People
Enough about data, let's talk about people - Firas Khnaisser, Chair, DMA Scotland
Data skills and the wider tech skills landscape - Katy Guthrie, Head of Data, ScotlandIS
Darren Seymour-Russell, Head of Data Science, Mudano (part of Accenture Applied Intelligence)
Panel Discussion: Can Data Deliver a Real Revolution in Care?
Covid-19 shone a spotlight on the frailties of the care sector, but can a new £20m partnership project in Edinburgh - with data at its heart - make a difference?
John Godfrey, Legal & General
Ian Underwood, University of Edinburgh
Susan Shenkin,University of Edinburgh
Lynne Baillie, Director, Interactive and Trustworthy Technologies Research Group, Heriot-Watt University
Panel Discussion: How can Open Finance and Data Innovation tackle Financial Exclusion?
The siting of the Global Open Finance Centre of Excellence in Edinburgh is big news for the city- but what does open finance really mean, can it cut through to making an impact at a societal level and what role does data have to play?
Gavin Starks, founder at IcebreakerOne.org & Dgen.net
Gbenga Ibikunle, University of Edinburgh
Nicola Anderson, FinTech Scotland
Zachery Anderson, NatWest Group
Keynote: Doing data right: fusing technology and ethics to create a future worth wanting
Shannon Vallor, Baillie Gifford Chair in the Ethics of Data and Artificial Intelligence